Monday, January 16, 2012

Reasons to Prepare (and a beginner's list)


If you’re not sure whether to come (this paragraph is like those notes that come in the magazine subscriptions: Open this ONLY if you have decided NOT to subscribe :>), I have LOTS of reasons for you to make it out. There are practical reasons: (1) getting started is the hardest part, and we’ll help you do that: (2) things are always easier and better if you do them with friends. There are spiritual/scriptural reasons: (3) “if [we] are prepared, [we] shall not fear,” and there’s always (4): 1 Tim 5:8 “But if any provide not for [her] own, and specially for those of [her] own house, [she] hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.” I don’t know about you, but NOT being an infidel is high on my list. :> There is even a (5) superstitious reason:  [and this is the 2nd reason that I couldn’t remember in church yesterday!] you know how, if you bring your umbrella, it doesn’t rain? I can personally attest to that, because I have had a 72-hr evacuation kit (in various stages of completion) since I was about twelve, and I have NEVER had to evacuate!!   :> There are also financial and logistical reasons: (6) granola bars, bottled water and emergency ponchos are much less expensive NOW than they will be during the evacuation (that is, (7) assuming you can even buy them then). And if you’re still just not feeling ready to begin putting a kit together, this Thursday will be enjoyable and informative, and we might just (8) treat ourselves to some of the “stress foods” (i.e., chocolate!). (Too bad my son Matt has grown up and doesn’t pray for earthquakes anymore – he’ll miss out).

If you are planning to participate, I’d like you to take a look at this list below. These are things you might have around your house, and which you could bring Thursday night. Please bring whatever you have: if you have some extras, others can use them; if you don’t have enough for you and your family, you can snag someone else’s extras. And please come whether you bring anything or not!

Mini-toothpaste
Toothbrush & floss
Small (hotel) shampoo
Small soap
Washcloth &  comb
Small (hotel) lotion
Chapstick
Purse-size tissues
Band-Aids

Emergency Poncho
Knit Hat / Beanie
Latex/Non-latex gloves
Knit Gloves / Mittens
Large Trash Bags
Kerchief / bandana
Water bottles
Matches
Toilet paper / Baby wipes

Card games
Mini-Flashlight (& Batteries)
Scriptures

Portable foods:
Instant Oatmeal
Cocoa in Packets
Granola Bars
Candy bars / Cookies
Beef Jerky
Trail mix

No comments:

Post a Comment